The Office of Vital Records performs searches of Birth, Death and Marriage Records for genealogical purposes. Only uncertified copies are provided and are marked with the statement "For Genealogical Purposes Only."
- Birth certificates - if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.
- Death certificates - if on file for at least 50 years.
- Marriage certificates - if on file for at least 50 years and both spouses are known to be deceased.
Request for vital records via fax or email are NOT accepted.
Are the time periods ever waived?
If the applicant is a direct-line descendant, i.e., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested the time periods are waived. If a waived is request the applicant must provide the following documentation to establish that relationship:
- Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of both spouses whose marriage certificate they are requesting.
The standard fee for a genealogy copy is $22.00. Fee varies depending on requested number of years to be searched. Please refer to the table below to see the fee schedule set forth by the New York Department of Health.
1 to 3 years
4 to 10 years
11 to 20 years
21 to 30 years
31 to 40 years
41 to 50 years
51 to 60 years
61 to 70 years
71 to 80 years
81 to 90 years
The followingbe sent with your application:
Types of Acceptable Identification
Payment of Fees
Acceptable forms of payment include:
Please bring or send Genealogy Application (PDF) along with identification, proof of need, and the appropriate fee to:
Incorporated Village of Hempstead
99 James A Garner Way
Hempstead, NY 11550
Attn: Vital Records
If you are not certain that the requested record exists in the Village of Hempstead, you may contact New York State Vital Records Office. Please see New York State Department of Health –Genealogy Records & Resources for more information.
New York City Records - New York County (Manhattan), Kings County (Brooklyn), Bronx County (The Bronx), Richmond County (Staten Island), and Queens County (Queens), contact: New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates are maintained by the municipality in which the event took place: the towns, cities, and the incorporated villages. To assist you in locating the appropriate village, town, or city responsible for maintaining your records please visit Nassau County Vital Records.
Questions and Comments
If you have questions or comments you may contact The Office of Vital Records at 516-478-6201 or 516-478-6436.
- Genealogy Application (PDF)