- Human Resources
- Frequently asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I find out what positions are available within The Village of Hempstead?
Many of our positions are filled by competitive candidate lists established by the Nassau Civil Service Commission. We also have non-competitive positions for which we accept on-line applications. An updated list of all non-competitive job announcements may be viewed online 24 hours a day on the Employment Opportunities web page.
2. How do I apply for competitive positions within the Village of Hempstead?
Competitive positions require passing a written exam administered by Nassau Civil Service Commission. You may visit the Nassau County Civil Service Commission website http://agency.governmentjobs.com/nassaucountyny/default.cfm to get a complete list of exams and filing instructions.
3. I do not have a computer. How can I apply for civil service positions and/or positions in the Village?
Free internet access is available at the Village Library located at 115 Nichols Street, Hempstead, NY 11550 or is accessible by any mobile phone.
4. I did not see the job that I’m interested in listed on the Village’s website. Can I apply anyway?
You can only apply for positions that are currently listed on the ’Employment Opportunities’ section of the Village’s website.
5. I am interested in becoming a Village of Hempstead Police Officer? How do I apply?
Police Officer positions are filled by a competitive exam administered by Nassau County Civil Service Commission (NCCSC). Check their website for more information.
6. Can I apply for positions with a paper application?
The Inc. Village of Hempstead’s Human Resources Office no longer accepts paper applications for any positions. You must apply via the online on the Employment Applications at www.villageofhempstead.org
7. Will I need a specialized license or experience to be considered for a position?
Some positions require a specialized license such as a regular or Commercial Driver’s License and/or additional experience, but not all. Information regarding required experience and/or license is included in the job announcements.
8. Will I have to pass a drug screening test to be considered for a position?
All candidates being considered for employment must pass a drug/alcohol screening tests prior to appointment.
9. Do I have to be a Village of Hempstead resident to be employed by the Village?
Qualified Village of Hempstead residents are granted preference for all positions. Residents that have passed all parts of a civil service competitive written examination is also granted residency preference by Nassau Civil Service Commission.
10. How do I know that my application has been received?
You will receive an automatic e-mail confirmation shortly after submission of your application. Receipt of this notification is indication that you have successfully submitted your application.
11. How can I check the status of my application?
Once you receive the automatic email confirmation your application is kept on file. Due to the number of applications received, you will only be contacted if the hiring supervisor is interested in bringing you in for an interview. Submission of an application for a posted position does not guarantee an interview or hire.