Frequently Asked Questions
- What tax exemptions are applicable to the Village tax and when is the filing period?
- Who is the owner of a certain property?
- How can I lower my assessment?
- What is my market value?
- What is the residential assessment ratio (rar)?
- What is the equalization rate?
- Is there a listing of vacant or foreclosed properties?
- What do I have to do to notify the assessment department of a ownership or tax billing change?
- Why is my county/town assessment different from my village assessment?
- I would like to obtain a permit to build a dormer on my home. I live in West Hempstead. Is this the correct department?
- Can I occupy a cellar or basement apartment?
- When is heat required for a rented apartment?
- Can romex wiring be used?
- What are the current building department fees?
- What is a backflow device and why do I need one?
- How do I become a member of the Hempstead Volunteer Fire Department?
- How will I receive the training needed to become a firefighter?
- Is the public allowed to rent the Fire Houses in the Village of Hempstead for private parties?
- How do I get the Fire Department to attend a function at our school and bring information on fire safety in the home?
- When the Fire Department conducts their annual fund drive how do I know if it is really the fire department that I am contributing to?
- When are the Village Offices Closed?
- How can I contact departments within the Village Office?
- When are the Board Meetings?
Hempstead Public Library
- When is the library open?
- How do I get a library card?
- Are there programs for adults and children at the library?
- My sewer is backing up at my home. Who should I make my first phone call to?
- The tree in front of my house is lifting my sidewalk and it is a village owned tree. Will the village repair my sidewalk?
- I received a Notice of Violation because of garbage and litter in the street in front of my home. The street is the village's responsibility, why did I get the violation?
- How does a person find out about the programs that are offered by the Recreation Department?
- What are the hours of operation of Kennedy Memorial Park?
- What are the hours and days of operation for the swimming pools?
- What are some of the sports that are available for the youth of our community?
Tax & Water Department
- Can I make payments by telephone or credit card?
- Who is eligible for a Long Island Railroad Parking Permit?
- What documents are required to obtain a Permit
- What is the cost for a Parking Permit?
- Can I pay my taxes by telephone?
- When is the Village Tax Lien Sale held
- When are my Village taxes due
- Can I pay my taxes electronically?
- What are the Water billing periods
- What are the Water billing rates
- When are Water bills due
- When and how do I notify the Tax & Water Department of billing changes?
- How can I obtain a Water account closing letter
- When is court in session?
- What are the court office hours?
- What form of payment does the court accept?
- Can someone appear in court for me?
- Can I just plead guilty and pay the fine without appearing in court?
- Can I enter a plea of not guilty without appearing in the court?
- How can I get an adjournment?
- If I have a warrant will I be arrested?
- What will happen if I fail to answer the summons/ticket?
- How many points will I get for traffic violation?